If you have been feeling slightly emotional these past few days, the culprit will likely appear in the sky this evening. Tonight we will experience a new moon. As its name implies, this astronomical body will initiate a new wave of energy on the earth. This wave will inspire a harmonious meeting of dark and light energy to merge playfully with elements of expansion and contraction, much like two dancers on a ballroom floor.
Like all things made of matter, including humans, the moon carries energy. The moon’s energy is feminine and therefore communicates with the feminine energy of the planet. Feminine energy is fluid, harmonious, nurturing, and flowing with life. Water, an earthly vessel of feminine energy, is one such element that reacts strongly to the signals of the moon. The two come together in a creative dance as the gravitational pull of the moon invites rhythmic movement of the sea to form the bulging waves we call tides.
The experience of a new moon, and in this case a supermoon, will cause such a strong gravitational pull on the earth’s water that the ocean will experience higher than usual tides. This rush of energy also impacts many other living things made of water, including humans. Up to 60% of the adult human body is water and, according to the Journal of Biological Chemistry, the brain and heart are composed of 73% water and the lungs are about 83% water. Therefore, it makes sense that the body would respond the call of the moon, making it likely you too will experience rushes of emotion in highs and lows, just like the waves of the sea.
Understanding the energy of the moon can help us to come into a deeper knowing of the self. Your soul has a rhythm with emotions just as the tides have a rhythm with the cycles of the moon. The pulsing of this interaction then becomes the beat in your heart, which creates the harmony of life as you know it. When your heart carries a melody of love and joy, your waters will be peaceful like a glass lake. When your heart carries a melody of pain and anger your waters will rage like a stormy sea. Be curious about the melody, listen to the beat, and you will learn to dance with the energy of the moon.
If this pathlight resonates with you, I invite you to further ignite your spark by engaging in one or more of the following activities:
Turning Faith Into Action
The energy of this new moon invites us to think about which ways we want to transform our lives. It calls on us to clear out stagnant energy to allow for a more prosperous, light and playful energy to come into our being. We are asked to visit the yin and yang in our current circumstances by illuminating our own shadow side, as well as both the positive and negative aspects of all experiences. To harness this energy, we must first understand that all things are comprised of light and dark elements. Some refer to light elements as “good” and the dark elements as “bad”. In any regard, every circumstance has elements of both. No one experience is all “good” or all “bad”. In order to pull positive energy you want to manifest into your next phase of transformation, you must focus on the light and positive elements from any life events you wish to change. Try this exercise for doing so.
- Take a piece of paper and fold it in half.
- At the top of the paper write what you want to transform. Is it your job, your financial situation, your relationship?
- On the left side write all of the negative things that have come from the situation as is. And on the right side of the paper write all of the positive things that have come from the situation. Since you are doing this in concert with the moon, you can also label one side high tide and the other low tide. High tide represents your high hopes or the things that were uplifting and the low tides represents the things that got you down or kept your energy low. See the example below.
- Next, rip the paper in half. Get rid of the negative side by either burning it in a fire or simply throwing it away.
- Now, take the positive side and write any additional positives you’d like from your next job. Set the intention of transformation and invite these positive aspects into your next job. You can place this on your vision board, an altar, or place it in water as an ode to the feminine energy of the moon. If you have holy water (which is simply water with a higher vibrational frequency that has been prayed over) you can sprinkle your list with that.
Something I would like to transform or manifest in my life is……
I create the life of my dreams.
Travel with me into the depths of my being.
Be my light
to guide me through the darkness of my thoughts;
Be my dark
to illuminate the flame of my soul.
Quote Inspired Reflections
“The full moon – the mandala of the sky.” ~Tom Robbins
“It is no secret that the moon has no light of her own, but is, as it were, a mirror, receiving brightness from the influence of the sun. “ ~ Vitruvius
“Every one is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody.” ~Mark Twain
“Praise Him, sun and moon; Praise Him, all stars of light!” ~Psalm 148:3